Social Studies Education
The Bachelor of Science with a major in social studies education at Trine University can prepare students with the knowledge, skills, and disposition to be ethical, informed, and inspired citizens, the backbone of any society.
The degree: Teaching methods for societal issues
The Bachelor of Science with a major in social studies education program at Trine University addresses topics such as:
- Social justice
- Ideal and practice of citizenship in a democratic society
- Global connections and interdependence
Extensive field work in methods of teaching social studies is included to help you gain an understanding of the value and use of instructional resources in a dynamic, student-centered learning environment characterized by positive, productive and healthy interactions.
Trine University offers special education licensure programs for preschool through 12th grade, allowing you to add special education licensure within your four-year degree program at Trine. If you are interested in pursuing special education licensure, talk to your faculty advisor.
The experience: Innovative, hands-on learning in real classrooms
Preparing future social studies educators involves courses that cover a wide perspective in historical foundations, psychology, economics and government.
The Bachelor of Science with a major in social studies education program features a rigorous curriculum that emphasizes real-world experience. Our expert faculty educate future teachers in:
- Student-centered instruction in a safe learning environment
- Evidence-based instructional strategies
- Classroom management techniques
- Innovative integration of classroom technology so you can earn Google Classroom certification
The result: Be highly prepared for your teaching career
Graduates from the Franks School of Education have demonstrated high levels of success, including:
- 100 percent of recently surveyed principal employers indicated the Franks School of Education provided teacher training that was relevant, effective, and improved P-12 student learning.
- 100 percent of recently surveyed principal employers shared that Trine teacher graduates are more prepared in comparison to other teacher education programs.
Area school districts where students participate in field experiences and student teaching include, though are not limited to:
- Bronson Community Schools (Michigan)
- Coldwater Community Schools (Michigan)
- Sturgis Community Schools (Michigan)
- MSD of Steuben County Schools (Indiana)
- Prairie Heights Community Schools (Indiana)
- Hamilton Community Schools (Indiana)
- Fremont Community Schools (Indiana)
- Fort Wayne Community Schools (Indiana)
- Garrett, Keyser Butler Community Schools (Indiana)
- DeKalb County Central United School District (Indiana)
- DeKalb Eastern Community Schools (Indiana)
- Quincy Community Schools (Michigan)
- Edgerton Local School District (Ohio)
- Edon-Northwest Local School District (Ohio)
- Central Noble Community Schools (Indiana)
- East Noble Community Schools (Indiana)
- West Noble Community Schools (Indiana)
- Lakeland Community Schools (Indiana)
With a Bachelor of Science with a major in social studies education, you have many opportunities for rewarding careers or advanced studies.
Explore the Possibilities:
- Grade-level or content department chair
- Building principal
- Assistant superintendent
- Curriculum director
- Child care worker
- Publications adviser (yearbooks, newspaper, etc.)
- Community agency director
- Graduate student
BS in Social Studies Education